THE 8 RULES OF CLEANING & SANITIZING FROM FIVE STAR CHEMICALS & SUPPLY INC
1) You can only sanitize CLEAN equipment.
2) Dirty equipment will always contain bacteria.
3) Cleaners are NOT sanitizers. Whether alkali or acid, cleaners should not be used as the final procedure.
4) Sanitizers are NOT cleaners. Sanitizers should be used ONLY as the final procedure.
5) The more heat and longer the contact time, the better and easier the cleaning job becomes.
6) DO NOT OVERUSE CLEANERS OR SANITIZERS. Never think, “If a little is good, then a lot is better.” Generally, “a lot” is bad. Higher concentrations don’t always work as well, normally require more water to rinse, can leave a chemical residue or cake and plug equipment.
7) Cleaners and sanitizers can only do their job if they came in direct contact with the soils. This means that all surfaces must be directly soaked or hand cleaned with the cleaners and then directly soaked with sanitizers.
8) ALWAYS add cleaning or sanitizing chemicals to water. NEVER add water to chemicals.